Thursday, March 28, 2013

And I'm Off! Brush Creek Artist Residency

Every suitcase I own is packed, with more to be picked up in Denver.

I'm off to spend the month of April way up in the mountains of Saratoga, Wyoming as an artist in residency at Brush Creek Ranch

[Photo courtesy if Brush Creek Ranch]

The Arts Foundation at the ranch offers residencies for composers, writers, and visual artists throughout the year, with about seven artists per month. It has been several months now since I applied: gathered letters of recommendation, set out a proposal, and submitted a portfolio. After waiting through a competitive jurying process, I was delighted to discover I had been awarded one such aforementioned spots for the month of April.

[Photo courtesy if Brush Creek Ranch]

Brush Creek is generous in its offerings: Private rooms, studio spaces, cooked meals, and more amenities are all taken care of in the award. Better still was the Career Opportunity Grant I received from the Oregon Arts Commission, one of two artist grant agencies in the state, to pay for my travel and shipping costs. 

Still so much to do! A brief stopover in Denver will afford me the chance to buy more supplies: new tubes of paint (which I was needing anyway), gesso, panels, canvas. I'll pick up some goodies at Whole Foods, some bed sheets (I think I need to being my own sheets?!) at Target, and perhaps do some sightseeing and museum-going.

On April 1st, no foolin', I'll head north to Laramie Wyoming where a shuttle will meet me and the other residents for a long drive around snowy peaks (rather than through, as would make for a shorter ride in the summer) to the ranch.

[Photo courtesy if Brush Creek Ranch]

While there I will paint, dabble in sculptural and book arts, and teach. I am slotted to visit the HUB, a rec. center in Saratoga where school kids gather in the afternoons, four times during the residency. Along with al of my own tools for making, I have packed my trusty bookmaking curriculums and some supplies to make  pop-ups books, keychain books, marbled paper and other nifty group crafts.

After some research, reading, and dreaming, I am already (phew!) full of ideas for work!

Everything I create at the ranch, along with work inspired by my trip afterwards, will be on display as a solo show at the West Linn Public Library in Oregon later this year.

Much to look forward to! I'll see you soon, hopefully the proud owner of some cool cowboy boots,

-Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment