Saturday, April 14, 2012

Art Challenge 2012

For the second year in a row, I am participating the an Art Challenge offered by a local gallery. Each spring, a call goes out from the Village Gallery of Arts in Portland. Participating artists are given four 6" x 6" canvases and invited to create a themed series in any medium, as long as it doesn't protrude from the sides. One month is given for completion. Last year's submission is here.

Over 100 artists participated last year and over 100 are set to take on the challenge this year, making for an amazing opening every May. The walls become a grid of 400+ pieces of art, all for sale, all affordable, many clever and fun.

Mostly, it is nice to have a "challenge," a deadline. One of my favorite parts of participating in open group shows is the slight stringency added by perimeters. For me, the winter has been busy getting work from the fall into exhibits. While I have been happy with my successes, it is then not always easy to budget time to make new work. This was the little boost I needed.

And I'm already done! A sneak peek at the pieces here; they will be on view and available for purchase at the Village Gallery of Arts during the entire month of May.





The title? "Always Be Prepared." Both a serious nod to the Girl Scouts' motto in honor of their 100th anniversary this spring, and commentary about the many cabinets that are well stocked with cookies by this time of year. I know mine is. But that was, err, "research."

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment