Monday, January 16, 2012

Goal 8: Read Twelve New Books

In an attempt to get my New Year's goals off to a running start, I put a bunch of books on hold at the library back in December. I figured they would trickle in as they became available over the next month or two. Turns out they were all available, so by January first I had a pile of books on my kitchen table.

[At least I'll have enough reading material for my trip to Alaska in a few weeks!]


I've knocked one off the list: Wide Saragasso Sea, by Jean Rhys. As an English major, I wrote my thesis on another Rhys novel, Voyage in the Dark, back in college. I am ashamed to say I did not read this, her more famous work, all the way through while writing my paper. I wish I had! My thesis was perhaps too introspective without taking my author's other works more widely into account. Ah, well, one can only have so much foresight at 21. It's a good one if you have read Jane Eyre -- Rhys tells her version of the backstory of Eyre's "woman in the attic."

Now that the slimmest book is out of the way, I am onto another female author: Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale.

I read in little hour slots at the end of the day when it's too late to lesson plan or too cold (I need the windows open to ventilate) to paint.

But truly, the week has been lovely, with the "first snow of the season" in Portland Proper. (I'm sure up in the hills, where I used to live, has had some flurries before this week!)

Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Last year I had a number goal, this year I just want to read a heck of a lot! I just downloaded The Handmaid's Tale to my kindle, so I might start reading that soon too.

    ReplyDelete