Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Rabbit, Rabbit

Was Thanksgiving really only this past week? It's been a busy seven days! We're also being treated to lots of sunshine here in Portland, so that doesn't help me realize it is, truly, just hours away from being December.

It's been a nice week, though. Prepping for sales, delivering work, making post office runs for etsy purchases, exploring various culinary delights, and a new hobby, coffee roasting.


[Main course, Thanksgiving 2011, The Country Cat Dinner House]

Thanksgiving dinner was taken at a local restaurant, The Country Cat. Though turkey was an option on the four-course menu, I applaud them on the thoughtfulness that went into both the presentation and consuming experience of the salmon. It mush have been broiled for the last minute of cooking, as it was just a little crispy on the outside. Sliced almonds added a crunch and pomegranate seeds a surprise pop at the end of each bite... nice.

I'm still learning about the finer points (and safety measures) of roasting coffee, but after a coffee roasting class took last weekend, I couldn't wait to begin experimenting with stovetop roasting (as long as all of the doors are open and the box fan blasting). It's a smoky experience --not something to be taken lightly -- but twice so far I have roasted up some beans and hand-ground them in a cast iron burr grinder for a few amazing cups of coffee. Can't wait to see what future batches will taste like when the process of perfected.


[Ethiopian green coffee beans on the skillet, ready to smoke up our kitchen while becoming a delicious light roast ready to be ground and brewed.]

Oh, and the title of this post? I don't remember who I first learned it from, or when, but folklore has it that you will have a month of good luck if the first words you utter on the first of the month are "Rabbit, Rabbit." Sometimes I remember sometimes I don't; we'll see if I do it tomorrow. Anyone else follow beginning-of-the-month rituals?

Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Yum, that looks like it was a delicious dinner! I don't have any beginning-of-the-month rituals, but rabbit, rabbit!

    ReplyDelete