Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Most wonderful, and busiest, time of the year

The rainy season may have begun here in Portland, but life has been too busy for November blues to get me down yet!

The First Friday of the month was a good time at the annual Oregon Visual Arts showcase at the Beaverton City Library. I had two works in the show, one of which sold (along with several giclee prints).

November also means craft and art sales, so I've been packaging cards, framing paintings, and making stocking stuffers. One of the first sales I'm in is this Sunday at the Oregon College of Art and Craft, a book arts/print holiday sale. 10-3.


[Mini books made from cards that one doesn't normally see in PDX... like Dunkin Donuts gift cards and "T" subway passes.]


I am also furiously marking my calendar with new dates I will be offering children's classes in Portland, as I add new venues. I recently was hired by both the Multnomah and Washington County library systems to offer children's bookmaking workshops periodically throughout the year, and have just become a teacher member of Southeast Portland's 100th Monkey Studio. And of course, my long-time venue Green Bean Books is hopefully just as excited as I am to begin a string of all-new classes starting in December... Magic Books! Book structures with secret messages, hidden pages, and a touch of whimsy throughout. The first class is on December 1st, 3:30-4:30, and will be the Magic Wallet Book structure. Ages 6-11 invited to join in.


[Magic Wallet Books -- Almost as mesmerizing as a Jacob's Ladder book!]


Who doesn't want to make some magical art when the weather outside is frightful? And the forecast changes from rain to the *possibility* of snow on Friday and Saturday. Icy conditions in our city are dangerous, but I'll take a few flurries over the rain for sure. The holiday feel of this month would be complete!

Sarah

1 comment:

  1. I want to make a magic book! Looks like you've got lots of exciting stuff going on, hope the holiday sales are successful. :)

    ReplyDelete