Monday, August 2, 2010

Move Over Shark Week, It's Julie Chen Week.

Craft fair prep has gone on hiatus during this busy week.

End of day one assisting at the week-long Julie Chen workshop up at school. Julie is one of my personal favorite contemporary book artists, and indeed one who has helped define the artform in its modern sense under her label of flying fish press. You may have seen her on HBO's documentary series Craft in America a year or so back. I fell in love the first time I saw her Bon Bon Mots (a work that secured my love of artists' books) at the Boston College McMullen Museum a few years back. It's wonderful to now be working with her now and learning a new narrative structure this week. (Feels even better being able to go home at night--many of the workshop attendees have traveled thousands of miles to take part!)

Look her up if you enjoy book arts, or need a reminder of what book arts is and can be!

Some of my Chen favorites:


Bon Bon Mots, 1998




Personal Paradigms, 2003




Leavings, 1997


All courtesy of Julie Chen and flying fish press. (Check it out. Now. Go.)

1 comment:

  1. Man I think I need to brush up on what book arts really is cause this stuff is awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete